Let's see if we are a good fit! (913) 648-2512, ext. 1
How This Works...
If you feel like your life is spinning out of control, you aren't alone! So many of us yearn for the ability to enjoy our lives and relationships, but feel stuck in a never-ending cycle of stress, upheaval, and crisis. It feels as though it's always something - maybe you get involved with the wrong partner, or your job presents unreasonable demands, your family expects the world from you, there is never enough time in the day, you just can't relax, and it seems like you're never enough. And the harder you work at feeling happy, the more miserable you become. Typical, right?
It doesn't have to be. It is possible to feel better, because you are already wired for health! For so many people, life has felt anxiety-provoking and overwhelming for so long that it feels normal. But anxiety, whether the result of traumatic experiences or chronic life stress, is not something you just have to endure.
So what can we do? How does anxiety and trauma treatment work? Maybe you've been to therapy before, but after a while you hit a wall. You've talked about time management, processed some of your feelings, and tried to change the unhelpful thoughts spinning in your head, but you're still not where you want to be.
It's not just you. Here's why you're not better.
1. Most traditional therapies fall short in treating anxiety and trauma.
Traditional talk therapy and cognitive therapies (including some cognitive behavioral therapies) primarily teach what I call top-down methods. Top-down methods, which utilize the "thinking areas" of the brain (including the prefrontal cortex), use thoughts to change the brain. These techniques are fantastic, and for many people necessary. However, if you suffer from anxiety, overwhelming stress, or residual trauma symptoms, the top-down methods that traditional therapies use will not be sufficient.
2. Effective anxiety and trauma treatment requires MORE than what traditional therapies can offer.
In addition to top-down approaches, effective therapy for anxiety and trauma needs to incorporate bottom-up and horizontal approaches. In bottom-up techniques, we work to change the brain through working with the body and the autonomic nervous system. This approach alone can substantially reduce anxiety symptoms! Additionally, horizontal techniques, which emphasize inter-hemispheric and cross-modality processing, can improve brain functioning and substantially reduce your stress response.
Start a new journey to recovery today to "reclaim your power, reclaim your life"!
If you are ready to try a new, more comprehensive and holistic treatment approach, call my office today at (913) 648-2512, ext. 1 and ask Kristin (my office manager) to schedule you a free consultation call with me. During our consultation we will discuss the most pressing problems you need to address, how I can be of help, and whether we could be a good therapeutic fit. In the meantime, feel free to check out my blog/articles page for advice related to anxiety, trauma, and interpersonal stress, and visit my tools page for free, unlimited access to stress-reducing practices!
More About My Approach (using some jargon)
Neuroscience-Informed Treatment for Trauma, Stress, and Anxiety
My clinical practice, which is located in the greater Kansas City area (Olathe, KS to be specific), specializes in neuroscience-informed psychotherapy for trauma- and stressor-related and anxiety disorders. My approach incorporates techniques from the following approaches:
- Somatic Experiencing
- Interpersonal Neurobiology
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Prolonged Exposure
- Cognitive Processing Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Exposure and Response Prevention
I strongly believe in the brain/mind/body/spirit connection, and view the clients I work with through a holistic lens.
Standard pricing for in-person and videoconferencing services are as follows:
- Intake session (55 minutes): $175
- Therapy session (55 minutes): $175
- Couple therapy session (55 minutes): $175
- Evaluation/formal assessment: $175/hour
- Report or letter writing: $150/hour (charged by the half hour)
- Weekend therapy session (55 minutes): $200
- Court-related services vary widely in cost, and require a retainer
- Payment is collected at the time professional services are received
Online messaging therapy is offered at substantially lower rates, depending on the requested frequency duration of these services. I work with clients to determine a price plan that fits clients' unique needs.
What about insurance?
I am currently a participating provider for Cigna in Kansas, and BCBS in Oklahoma, but no additional insurance networks at this time. However, some insurance carriers will provide partial reimbursement for my fees as an out-of-network provider. Please be aware, however, that when requesting insurance reimbursement, the following apply:
- A diagnosis is required, and this label will be part of your medical record permanently.
- Clients' records are not protected, which means that all information about the client, including very personal information, may be obtained by the insurance company.
- Clients' care is dictated by the insurance company, and the therapist essentially works for the insurance company, not the client. This can compromise the quality of mental health services provided.